It is a fact that investments for the betterment of the workplace are beneficial for both employees and employers. Employers get to enjoy the increased productivity at work, and employees can enjoy a better work environment without risking their health. A healthy workplace environment is ideal when it comes to maintaining a positive outcome in a stressful atmosphere. The most important thing that influences employee motivation and happiness, and how productive and efficient they can be, all goes down to their working environment.
Here are some practical tips to boost productivity in a workplace:
Complicated assignments and tasks at the office require your full attention. You need to get into a relaxed mental state that is generally known as flow. When you are working with a relaxed mind, you achieve better results with effective stress management. A distraction can destroy your circulation, and you will not have the same attention towards the task.
Here is a list of things to avoid or things to do’s in our workplaces:
• Unnecessary use of the smartphone in the office can be the biggest distraction
• Avoid lingering on social media apps while working in the office
• The office furniture should offer enough privacy so that you are not distracted by the movement of other colleagues
• Take a break with music to refresh your mind and boost your mood
• Minimize bringing in of personal issues to work
Get Better Organized
Your desk is the first thing that you see most of the time. Having a lot of bills and files on your office desk can create stress and distractions for you. If you deal with a lot of files, you should go for office desks that come with proper filing compartments. When your desk is organized, you will get more done in an organized way. Take control of your desk and get things done without stressing over messy files.
Here are some fantastic tips to be more organized at the workplace for increased productivity:
• Prioritize your tasks and responsibilities
• Write down important things to do on sticky notes
• Have colorful sticky notes for different tasks as per the urgency level
• Try to place everything in the proper place
• Schedule your tasks for the whole day at the start of the office
Multitasking seems like a fresh approach to do many things in less time, but it can affect the quality of work. Most of the employees don’t know how to train their minds for multitasking. According to the research on the capabilities of the employees, only 2% of employees were found to be good multitasker. Almost 98% could not handle multitasking.
If you are looking to achieve better quality work, try to focus on that one single task at a time. Instead of dividing your concentration into many things at once, train your mind to give 100% to a single job at a time.
Sometimes you take on more than you can handle, and you try to multitask to complete it all. But instead of trying to finish more tasks than you can handle in a day, try to say no to whomever is asking you to take on another project. When you are saying no to your colleague, do not give them a list of reasons why. Keep it short, sweet and to the point. They will most likely understand either way.
Improve Indoor Air-Quality
While everyone talks about outdoor air pollution, very little attention is paid to the quality of air indoors. The quality of indoor air matters quite a lot since we spend most of our day inside and have to breathe this air. Be it our home, workplace or any other building, the quality of the air goes a long way in determining our overall health as well as comfort level.
Indoor air quality in the workplace is extremely important because it affects a lot of people and for a long duration of time. Additionally, the health, comfort, and employee’s productivity depend on a large extent on the environment and air quality.
• Develop a smoke free workplace
• Good ventilation to provide fresh air and at the same time flush out carbon dioxides and other contaminants present in our air
• Cleaning and proper housekeeping to keep our workplace free of dusts and pollutants
• Well-maintained air conditioning system can lead to better humidity
• Consider having indoor plants
• Invest in better furniture (no VOCs – volatile organic compounds) and color selection
These are some practical tips that you can implement for your workplace to boost the productivity of employees and the business.